Friday, March 14, 2008

Why We Write

I’m writing this because right now I don’t know what else to write about. A lot of the time I write because I feel particularly inspired, other times I write because I don’t feel particularly inspired at all, and I just need to waste some time. Sometimes I only write because it needs to get done. But why do we really write? How can I answer this? Let’s explore.

People write because it’s a really good way to share ideas. With the information age, it is ridiculously easy to share information, over the internet, emailing, blogging, Facebooking, IMing or whatever else they may do. To a very large extent, it is all just more junk clogging the information highway, with my own blog posts included in that aggregation of inane musings of the empowered people. So maybe people write because they feel entitled to share their ideas. Maybe people think other people care about what they have to say. Are they right? Who knows. Not me, for sure, but I enjoy logging my thoughts for posterity, whether or not other people read them.

Fiction is not exactly what you find on the internet. It’s not to share the most recent restaurant that you tried or muse about the awesomeness we call carpeting, but something else, something less concrete. It’s about telling a story, whatever that may mean. Fiction is our alternative to reality. What we can’t have, but what we wish we had. If I was writing a fiction piece about my life, it would not include writing essays, but in a sense, this is an essay.

How do I justify what I write as not being argumentative when I have a pretty definite purpose? I guess I don’t see my writing as being constrained to the forms of typical academic writing. Papers that I read in the course of school and homework and research seem to be pretty dry. Most of the time they don’t have too much voice. They sound like they’re trying to educate you, to force you to see the point they want to make. I write, but without a very definite argument. I have a question, and I explore the journey towards the answer, but for myself, and if the reader catches on to my train of thought, they can join my journey towards some minor step closer to enlightenment (or perhaps become slightly stupider and more confused.)

Can I write something that explores a question with no real direction? I feel like I need a concrete place to jump off of, and that is what I lack as of now. What can I do to find a subject? I know I have to be writing about something that I am very much interested in to be able to conduct any sort of research without wanting to kill myself. Still, just finding that subject is very, very, very difficult. Why must I not be able to think of something that I can write a lot about? It needs to be a relatively simple subject, otherwise I will get lost in the depths of the wilderness that could otherwise be described as other ideas. Simple subjects that are interesting. Hummmmm I’m having problems already. I will come back to that.

Writing comes easily to me. I don’t have problems logging my thoughts, but only forming the thoughts in the first place. Somehow I have a command of the English language without having much of a sense for forming ideas with it. Kind of sucks sometimes. Now I just need to figure out what I want to write about. More later.

No comments: