Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Day Lasts as Long as You're Awake

It was my friend's birthday last weekend and we decided that a birthday starts at midnight of your birthday, then lasts as long as you're awake after the night of your birthday. For example, your twenty-first birthday starts at midnight (12:00 am), so you hit the bars right then. You fall asleep a few hours later (let's say 4:12 am) and wake up that afternoon (3:27 pm) still drunk (with a blood alcohol concentration of about 0.2%). You continue to drink, since it is almost happy hour and you can legally drink, and after several bottles of various energy drinks mixed with alcohol, you finally pass out at 8:43 am the day after your birthday. Although an unlikely situation, your birthday would theoretically have lasted until the following morning.

I love sleeping. There are a certain number of hours every day when there are not very many interesting things to do. These hours typically range from about 12 am to about 9 am, depending on where you are. Because there are so few amusing things to do between these hours, they are ideal times to sleep, when having amusing things to do is of no concern.

I don't know why we need to sleep. I may be wrong, but I don't think that biology has even explained why we need to sleep. I mean, it gives us something to do when there isn't anything else to do, but it also is a huge waste of time. I've probably slept away more than a third of my life. That's almost seven years. I have spent seven years sleeping. If I had been doing something productive with my time, like reading or practicing music or learning how to scuba dive or something, I could probably be a really accomplished person. Stupid biology.

I actually don't have too much to say about sleep. I thought I did, but I don't. I need to start writing posts without a topic in mind as much. More next time.

No comments: